Friday, August 23, 2002


Heavy Weather Traffic Again

I promised not to write any poetry today and I am trying to stick to that promise. You are lucky that I have not yet found one of my early poetry notebooks. I found it briefly the other week but it has submerged itself in the garage again. There were loads of great ideas in it but without any proper grammar. I have at least managed to write in sentences now and can even turn my hand to a mean bit of prose. (full of cliche of course but who cares). I was looking back through the archives yesterday. This is the most I have written in anyone place ever. Even my thesis (on Linked ATM systems - I was nearly arrested for taking pictures of ATMs) was shorter. I found that in the garage as well the other day but I couldn't bring myself to look at it further than noticing the hand-drawn diagrams. I was into Rotring pens at the time but even they couldn't make the drawings any more than hand-drawn. I still have the pens somewhere but I am sure they will take a week of running under the tap before they are fit to use, if ever.

In my strangely wired brain, I have remembered that my daughter wants to take some of the pebbles from the garden down when we visit my parents next so that my step-mother can put them in her rinky-dinky little rock tumbling machine and make them all shiny. I have yet to convince her (my daughter) that they will have to be in the machine for weeks rather than a few days before they get shiny. It takes four goes of 7 to 10 days each with different size grits. Just the thought of 40 days with a machine tumbling away in the garage makes me wince. It would be far worse than laying awake worrying about whether the light had gone off in the fridge. Is there a name for worrying about whether the light is off in the fridge? They should make fridges with little windows in them so you can be sure the light is out. I have to add that I don't worry about the light in the fridge. Not any more anyway. I would have to set up a microphone right by the rock tumbler so that I could check it was still going or hadn't caught fire or anything. Maybe you could set one up to run on wind power with some sort of measuring device to check that it had turned over enough times at a high enough speed. Some sort of centrifugal device that only triggered the counter if it was activated by the centrifugal force of the drum turning.

I still havn't set up my daughter's windmill / lighthouse. There is an electrical shop just across the road where I can get the motor, bulbs and wires and it wouldn't cost much. Making it work so that the rotor turned into the wind is the difficult bit. Why am I so lazy? The conversation here has just gone downhill and I am afraid that I am the instigator. We have had a quiz passed round where you have to guess the names of groups based on slightly cryptic clues. One of the clues is simply "palidrome". I will not embarrass you with the details of how long it took for use to get Abba but I have found another group - Releveler and there is yet another Scandinavian group with a Palindromic name.

What is the fear of Palindromes?

Why aibohphobia of course.

No comments: