Wednesday, August 14, 2002


Genre bashing

How about a TV series where the style of each episode changes. For example, you would have it as a sitcom one week and then a Police Drama and then a documentary. The characters would remain throughout as would the overall story. What would change would be the style of writing and the way it was filmed. I got the idea some years ago while watching a Japanese soap on TV (I was in a hotel and very bored). One of the characters was played by someone I was sure had been on a previous show and I began to get the idea that this episode was just another in the same series and that the style of the film had changed. If you look at a recent episode of one of the long-running soaps, the look and feel is completely different from that from a decade ago. This is not only due to changing Technology and writing, but down to what society wants from its soaps. I have just been reminded of the album 'Service' by "yellow magic orchestra" where the songs are split up with what I think are excerpts from a Japanese Soap Opera.

No comments: