Friday, August 02, 2002


Sheep 2002



I just phoned my Brother (who works for Particle Measuring in Malvern) and I asked him whether he had a better view than I do (All I've got at work at the moment is a brick wall). He works in a new business park near some old Nissen huts (co-incidently where my dad was based during part of his National Service) in the middle of fields and close to a Riding School. He said that he could see sheep and horses in the fields outside and then without any sense of the hilarity it might invoke, he said that they had just had "Sheep 2002" over at the showground nearby. I can tell you now that alll of us here have had a good laugh at the site (We are all schoolboys at heart).

Having made all these jokes, it is only fair to say that we used to enjoy visting the Three Counties Show each year when we were kids. I even had an exhibit one year - a tank of tadpoles (well they were almost frogs by the time they got to the show). My Sister used to work for the Council of Small Industries in Rural Areas (COSIRA) which is now the Rural Development Commission or the Countryside Agency and as part of that she had to work for the Blacksmith Competition at the show. Although I did enjoy the show, I get a residual feeling of anxiety because one year when I was quite young, we lost our Mother and I got very anxious, anxious enough to be thinking about going to the police and saying we were lost. My brother of course was quite happy as he filled a plastic bag with every leaflet for farm machinery he could find. Actually I did that as well. When I was older, I went out with a girl who kept goats which she showed at the .. er .. show. Her father was not a Farmer; he worked at the Royal Signals and Radar Establishment (Now QinetiQ) in Malvern; a bit like Bletchley Park I always imagined. She was a vegetarian but seemed to have no qualms about the goats being killed for food for other people. So the Three Counties Show had quite a wide-ranging affect on even quite non-agricultural people.

My brother used to work at the Royal Signals site; he actually did his apprenticeship there. This is the sort of thing they work on. I like to think that the man in the middle is my Girlfriend's father but I am probably wrong. The picture is quite fun though isn't it?



(From http://www.quiprocone.org

Quantum Singularity has been reached. The Black Hole that is lunchtime is over.

No comments: