Tuesday, June 11, 2002

Trying to write down music with words

Yesterday I was struck by how a song I was listening to fitted with what I am writing. ("The terror time" fitting with genetically engineered Armageddon). It happens a lot. remember I mentioned how some music fits with whatever it is played over. If you listen to something while writing blog entries, the things you mention are coloured by the music. This music should be played loud and not on any old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. I used to work at a Building Society in Bristol (which is in the WEST of England which might tell you the name of the company) during my placement year at college and one of my colleagues was an intellectual guy called Gareth who had read Philosophy and Divinity at Oxford University. He was heavily into Cricket, Sacred Music, Mathematics, Philosophy (naturally) and many other things. At this time my cultural life revolved around Starwars and Mike Oldfield. Gareth showed me "Godel, Escher, Bach" and that was it. I bought my own copy and it slotted into my Systems Analysis courses brilliantly. I felt a real oik reading books related to my course which were not on the reading list but I suspect that you would not be reading this if it were not for Gareth and his books. I wish I could get in touch with him again. I can't even remember his Surname which is terrible. Email me on RDeWeyden@hotmail.com if by some chance you are reading this. In GEB, there are many comparisons of Text, Mathematics and Music. Gareth pointed all this out but I think I misunderstood because I simply listed favourite peices of music and tried to put plots to them (or more often selected music to put to stories I had made up. All the stories sound naff now but I likes them at the time and they kept me sane. I had one called "The Crystal Tear" about Rock Music and Minimalism and Love and 101 other things which started with "The Cocteau Twins" went via Stewart Copeland and The Penguin Cafe Orchestra and ended up with Chick Corea (Nefertiti I think). Get the picture? Want to read it? No! I didn't think so.

No comments: