Monday, June 10, 2002

Too much sky

There is just too much sky. I was walking out to the car yesterday across the office car-park. The sky was particularly impressive with a greate variation in the cloud cover and it struck me that it is impossible to capture that sort of sky with any camera. I had to move my head from one quarter of the horizon to another just to take in all the variation. I was thinking the same thing the other day while waiting in a queue at lights. An articulated lorry pulled up alongside someway in time to the classical music on the radio. I though about how you would capture the image on moving film but it struck me that the whole experience needed to be captured to provide the same experience that I had. You would need a full eyeball emulator, super hi-fi microphones, vibration recorders and aroma detectors. Not yet possible. Alternatively, you could create a "brain-experience detector which simply sampled brain state and then replayed it. I think this has been used in some science-fiction. This reminds me of one of the more unlikely attempts to uncover the identity of Jack the Ripper. Someone suggested that the trauma of the killing would have imprinted the image of the murderer on the retina of the victims. I don't think that any attempt to prove this surgically was carried out. I also seem to recall something about an idea for a "brain-state recorder" which would record all our experiences and therefore allow us to replay events to prove situations for legal purposes. I suspect that most of the failures of our memories are actually to do with failures of our senses or the transfer of the sensory input into memory. We actually do "remember" things that are in our memory but in actual fact the memory is not what actually happened. (Compare with what I said yesterday about the "truth" of the internet and other sources).

No comments: