Friday, April 22, 2005

'limbus patrum' or 'limbus infantium'

I read this stuff for a while and then it hits me that it is no more than the arguments over how many angels can you fit on the head of a pin. We should spend time on more important things and I don't mean Trinny and Susannah.

Election fever has reached this place. The symptoms are complete catatonia. For years I have ranted about how many people stood up for the right to vote for plebs like us and that it was a betrayal to not vote. My resolve on this matter is now being severely tried by the negative campaigning and lack of rigour on the part of all the politicians. Why can't we have some 'We will be better than this Government' rather than the 'Isn't this Government useless' from the opposition? I was considering taking the day after the election off so I could stay up until the point of majority was passed but I can't be bothered now. Those days of hope all those years ago!

We did stay up for Question Time last night. I was only really impressed with Shirley Williams though I think that might just have been her ability to string more than a few words together and make a coherent argument. She was our MP for one term once - well she was MP for the constituency we live in now when I didn't live in it - if that makes sense. It seems she was a sort of flying candidate for the SDP - brought in at a moment's notice to dispense Centre-Left reasonableness to the poor, ranty scousers up in North Liverpool. She was the Calm-Down candidate. I may have misread early 80s politics here. Our current MP - Claire Curtis-Thomas is often seen out and about at various socially acceptable events like the opening of a new lap-dancing club - er sorry - litter-drives etc. She was in the papers as having the highest stationery expenses of any MP but I have to say that she does send out letters all the time even when there isn't an election. She often comes to our Church (Let's not get into the debate over why a Secular Humanist like me goes to Church) with husband and sprogs which is a nice change from the MPs who can hardly remember where they are supposed to represent. Having said all this she was in favour of the Iraq war and while I know I should be thinking of local as well as national issues, people died for lies and that has removed the restraining bolt of my support.

My daughter is obviously going to vote for anyone who will promise more Angela Lansbury programmes on TV. Not sure about NOS. He understands far more than he can say at the moment. He is also getting quite good at climbing which is a worry. My daughter learnt how to vault out of her travel cot when she was just under two years old which removed any possibility of restraint. I remember the world going into slow motion as I came down the stairs to see her with one leg over the side of the cot, a split second's hesitation on the brink as she smiled an evil smile at me and then the expert paratrooper's roll as she hit the floor and scooted off towards some hazard. We visited my Brother some weeks later and told him about this. He quietly asked us not to put her in his boy's travel cot as at three he was still unable to escape from it and he didn't want any master classes going on. Kids hey! And then when they get older and mature

Poor Tom!

No comments: