Thursday, January 29, 2009

Smugness Squared


I have just been looking at some old forms I wrote in VB and was struck by the stark, military look I gave them. I've always worried that my eye for design in such matters is not as good as it should be but comparing these with some applications I have to deal with, maybe I'm not so bad. Of course I am restricted by various rules regarding logos etc. though the logo of the current company I work for seems to have a relaxed attitude attached to it - maybe a firm but fair uncle rather than a strict and horrible grandad.

We have nothing else today other than the standard clamour regarding what is predicted to be the coldest winter in X years. Actually we do have something else. I've been told by the National Blood Service that I may be able to donate platelets meaning I will be able to give more often. I have a test on Saturday to confirm this. The platelet donation process doesn't seem much beyond what happens for whole blood apart from the fact that the blood comes out, is spun to get the platelets out and then returned along with some anti-clotting stuff. I love giving blood - the general air of confidence exuded by the staff is relaxing and it seems that for platelet donation you are allowed to sit down and read as well because it takes longer.

Finally we have this set of wonderful photos by John Gay which makes me think about trying to make photos that purport to be of this time by playing about with photo editing. The problem is that people just do not look like that any more - even if the basic shape and arrangement of people is the same, they just do not look the same - they look younger in general. Anyway - enjoy the photos - as good as any Robert Capa ones, if not quite as dramatic.

No comments: