Thursday, January 08, 2009

The Return of Douglas Bean



This was taken with the camera wedged on the top of the car and the shutter left open for as long as it took. I've just bought a remote control for the camera which means I can do proper tripod-based astronomical photos. Of course after days of clear skies, the night that the gizmo arrives goes all cloudy. I may redo this picture when I have something a bit more sophisticated than MS Paint available. Here is a blow-up to show that The Earth actually did move while I was taking the photograph. Though of course the Plane shows that up doesn't it? Doh!



My response to the news story that it is claimed that a UFO damaged a wind turbine in Lincolnshire is yeah - right. The wittering about whatever hit it having to be 170 feet long to damage two of the three blades is just sensationalism - how about one blade flew off and damaged the other one? This talk of UFOs detracts from the real necessity of the moment which is to investigate what really happened and make sure it doesn't happen again. If there are indeed aliens buzzing the turbine I wonder why they chose that part of the country. Of all the things which could do damage like this why do people have to choose the most unlikely one. If there is ice on the road it is probably because it is cold but of course it might be aliens trying out some sort of new impulse drive which uses zero-point energy to magnify the potential temperature difference between -273 and 0 - but it probably isn't. That strange clunk you hear just before you go to sleep might just be someone breaking in but it's probably something cooling down because the heating has just gone off and overbalancing because of natural and boring contraction. Aliens may well exist out there but they are the least-likely explanation for everything that happens on The Earth. I was going to say almost anything but I've gone totally sceptical today. Wake me up when they land on the White house Lawn. Do you think they have eaten yet?

I apparently sound like Philip Larkin on this blog. Not sure that I even come close to his level of literacy and I am certain that his misanthropy was far in excess of mine. Bottom line I think is that I have to cheer up. I did reply that I wondered where Philip Larkin's blog was and I am now speculating on what such a blog would have been like. I am sure it would have got an R-18 certificate. Maybe someone should start one. It won't be me but I do have an idea for something which, while not original might be fun to do. Watch this .... oh you know the rest.


No comments: