Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Little History

My daughter bought me this book for Christmas.


I was surprised to discover that it is actually a book for children - precocious ones I suppose. I used to read VM Hillyer's A Child's History of the World over and over. That book was simpler than Gombrich's. Gombrich is also know for The Story of Art and Art and Illusion - both studious but readable books. A Little History is in the same category and while some of the assertions may not stand up to QI's standards of rigorous truth (NOT!), it is indeed a smooth, well-paced gallop over the essential items in history. The first edition being written in the 1930s makes it even more wondrous. I find that it is indeed a surprise as Philip Pullman says on the blurb.

Talking of which, my wife has just started reading Northern Lights which may or may not lead to ructions in the deWeyden household. Pullman himself says he did not intend the book to make a point about the existence or non-existence of God and yet I can't help worrying. I am of course desperately looking forward to The Book of Dust. No sign of it yet I am afraid. Many, many Oxen ... er ... books from the library so very busy at the moment.

None of us know what we are talking about do we?

No comments: