Friday, February 06, 2004

Slow Waltz with Building Cranes

Listening to - Sheryl Crow - er by Sheryl Crow

Like that is so eponymous!

There was halo around the moon last night. It was full and at about ten lunar diameters from the moon itself, there was a light line caused by the moonlight in the thin layer of cloud that was up there. Lunar Halos are probably not quite as rare as I made out to my wife but it is the first time I have seen one. What with that and it being my birthday as well, I felt quite content last night even if I am now 40.

That meant DVD frenzy, with the double DVD pack of Koyaanisqatsi / Powaqqatsi. Now these being scored by Philip Glass, my wife was expecting a night in the kitchen but she decided to put up with Koyaanisqatsi and had to admit that she quite liked it. Cue one smug birthday boy. We didn't risk overload by trying to watch Powaqqatsi but instead went on to Anita and Me. Ok so it wasn't deep but contrary to what some of the reviewers say, I think it stuck at least to the emotional side of the book.

Just read this article sparked by John Lydon's outburst and departure from I'm a Celebrity, get me some more publicity. Nice to see Roger Mellie still reminiscing.

More on the DVDs later.

I also got more books, which has prompted my sister to suggest that we may not actually have room for them all) - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon, which is so easy to read that I am already up to Chapter 97. Well that sounds more impressive than it actually is because the chapter numbers are all prime so it is only chapter 25 really. Actually that sound quite good as well. I am getting worried. In both the program by Luke Jackson, the teenager who wrote Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome and in the latest book, I have though that the supposed symptoms of Asperger's syndrome seem no more than normal. I don't think of myself as unemotional but as a teenager I seem to have had trouble working out how people reacted to me and always assumed the worst. I am more able to work things out now but sometimes the flashbacks hinder me. I can still understand the 'proper ' answer to the Monty Hall problem though even if I went along with the intuitive answer (which is the wrong one). The other book is Wintering by Kate Moses, the concept of which sounded so horrendous at first but the reviews have convinced me to try it. The author writes about the final months of Sylvia Plath's life. I will let you know.

No comments: