Friday, February 13, 2004

Remember Bhutan

Listening to - Night Song - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Not sure what to right about ... and damn it I should stop using ellipsis to start every entry. Anything technical at home seems to be breaking down at the moment. I think it all has built in intelligence that senses when things are going well and causes malfunctions just to keep you on your toes.

I have nearly finished reading Experience. (I was going to start that sentence with 'Nearly finished reading .....'). So many times I have though about giving up but for all the boring bits there are an equal number of fantastic anecdotes (well anecdotes of a sort). The main fault is that it is too novelistic (in a sense which may be peculiar to me); it jumps back and forth, sometimes in the same sentence which can be distracting. However, Amis seems to be doing this for himself and no one else so why shouldn't he jump? You could call the whole thing weird and it is but it also comes across as a very affectionate look back at his (for us) un-conventional life. If I was a literary critic I suspect that this sort of life is the norm but for us plebs it seems rarefied and exciting. Vanished cousins who turn out to have been victims of Fred West, fights, abusive letters from fellow novelists, long-lost children you fathered 19 years before; they are all recorded because they are the main events and yet they seem normal parts of his life. I can only be grateful that my life is not the same but maybe that is the inherent Asberger's.

No comments: