Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Return With a Muted Trumpet

Well I wanted to start writing a few minutes ago but I couldn't think of any thing but after a few minutes away on the Amazon web site I have come back. Not that I want to write about anything I saw there though there may be some purchases made over the next few days.

Still reading Experience and I have to say that I have been impressed by Mr Amis' lightness when it comes to talking about himself. The fact that his cousin, Lucy Partington was a victim of Fred and Rose West might have meant a continuous miasma of gloom over the whole thing but it is not like that at all. Occasionally he comes out with some short invective about the murderers and yet when this is over, the overriding sense is of celebration of the Lucy's life. I am only a third of the way through and I could not tell you if the book is in any way chronological or not. The letters he writes to his father and Step-Mother that are interspersed throughout the book seem to be in order but the rest of the book jumps back and forth seemingly as he thinks of things to write about. You may think that this makes the book confusing but again it adds to a new image of someone who probably seems very serious to those who are familiar with his writing. I need a good editor; the one in my head is useless. Maybe I just can't write.

This sounds terrible - like sixth-form magazine stuff. Coupled with this little local depression a great wave of “no future” has swept over me, well maybe not a long term thing but a wish to stop the current action and do something completely different. Like swimming through treacle (sorry! Golden Syrup).


No comments: