Monday, February 09, 2004

Don't Care About Spots on Apples

Listening to - Fairytales of Slavery - Miranda Sex Garden

This is far better than I remember it. I bought this record on the back of their wonderful Madra, which was unaccompanied madrigals and other such stuff. Fairytales of Slavery is more like some definitive If-you-are-a-goth-you-MUST-do-it-like-this manual. If you like your goth sweetly singing with weird 4AD style rumblings in the background then get this. If you don't then ... er ... don't.

Notice the entirely correct use of the apostrophe there? Well I finally succumbed and got a copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I always knew how to use an apostrophe - you sling it over your shoulder, blow into one end and a noise like a sick duck comes out of the other - though you may not believe me looking back at the archives. The author of this sweet little book (not sure about commas yet though) is entirely correct that punctuation is important. Sadly these days, the problem is not really just one of bad punctuation but of bad writing in general. I know I am not the most wonderful of writers but some of the memo I have to read are just sad; they need rereading to get any meaning from them because all rules of grammar seem to have been ignored. More to report later. Just a joke there. This is conversational and the occasional ellipsis is permitted.

I watched Powaqqatsi yesterday, on my own because my wife, despite liking Koyaanisqatsi more than she thought she would, was not able to take two plotless movies in a week. There are some excruciatingly powerful shots in this film; the South-American dancers were amazing and together with the music made a film which said so much without any words at all. An acre of meaning could be gleaned from every minute, far more than say a whole afternoon of "live from the jungle". It is very like Man With a Movie Camera except that Reggio and crew had a helicopter and air-travel. I have just noticed that Koyaanisqatsi is mentioned in the IMDB review of MWAMC - which is nice.

No comments: