Tuesday, July 30, 2002


The Ubiquitous Mr Smallwax

This came out of a password hash I am writing. I wonder if he exists. Well, I didn't think he would. Would have been nice if he had though.

I am in the middle of asp hell at the moment. Integerising is different in vbscript from vb itself. Yuk!

I'm in the "so many things to write about" phase again. I can't make a decision. Bearing in mind that this story (Positive thinking 'extends life') has just come out, I have obviously got to tell myself how lucky I actually am. There aren't actually any wars close by at the moment; I'm certainly not going hungry and my mind is at least slightly sharper than a bucket of custard. I worry after writing things like this, that something really awful is going to happen to me immediately. It's as if my mind has a section for worry which when empty fills with irrational thoughts. Maybe I could train it to get smaller like you can train your stomach to expect less food. I am a pretty average star on the Western spiral arm of a pretty insignificant galaxy where not a lot actually happens. If I look at it rationally, there is not much definition to people's lives in this country because nothing really bad actually happens. My Father had to go to a real war (Suez in 1956), my Uncle flew as a tail gunner in World War II and my aunt (well at least two of them) dodged Flying bombs. One of my Aunts was a WRAF looking after the Radar Operators on the South Coast during World War II and she tells a story about standing near the coast talking to some male colleagues when they all disappeared. They had dropped to the floor leaving her standing there while a V1 hit the cliffs nearby. I also remember a doctor friend of my Mother relating how he saw a V1 brought down by a Meteor which simply put its wings under those of the doodlebug and flipped it over using the slipstream between them. It sounds unlikely especially with the recent article I read which said that most of the little devils were brought down by Typhoons or Tempests. Well most of the ones which were actually brought down; I suspect most of them got through. At least 2000 fell on London though not one of them on the Ubiquitous Mr Smallwax.

No comments: