Wednesday, July 31, 2002


Patagonian Earthworms and Boring Postcards

'Patagonian Earthworms' is the phrase that Martin has just given me as a trigger for this entry. 'Boring Postcards' simply popped into my head unannounced. How do you define boring? My Father used to bring home construction firm catalogues for us to draw on the back of though I found myself drawn into looking at the architectural photographs. I only remember the name of one of the firms - Polensky-Zoellner - they seemed to concentrate on large but graceful bridges over remote gorges high in the German Mountains. It was a perfect world of what construction should be about. None of the mess of inappropriate rubbish that we British put up with no thought for our surroundings. Now that probably sounds boring to you but all kids want to grow up to do what their parents did so an interest in civil engineering was apt. My Mother was a Doctor and My Father was a Civil Engineer (so how did I end up here?). I remember dad also bringing home a small flick book which showed the stages of constructing a road surface. However, in an indication of the lack of women in the profession, the reverse images depicted a stripper performing (though she modestly danced off the page as she went). My wife bought me a tiny flick book which depicts one of Eadweard Muybridge's experiments. Well! No Patagonian Earthworms but some Boring Postcards.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.