Monday, July 01, 2002

Blank Verse

Something of interest here. This is like when Adrian Mole sent a list of explanations of British terms to his American friend Hamish Mancini. This site actually has a definition for cat's eyes. Don't they exist in the US? For some obscure reason, my wife knows the name of the man who invented Cat's Eyes, Percy Shaw (I just had to look it up again). Here is an interesting musing on simplicity related to Cat's Eyes. Percy Shaw lived in a house in Halifax set in the middle of the works where the aforesaid reflecting devices were manufactured, the driveway of which is studded with them. We have just had a short discussion about Cat's Eyes here. I will leave you to guess why one of our number has just gone to stare at a pencil sharpener. (Clue :- it is a VERY old joke).

I think I may start up a special page for double entendres by Blue Peter Presenters. There is of course the famous Durham Cathedral Door Knocker and the Hedge Laying episode. I once saw one of the famous engineers tapes and it became difficult to know what was real and what was made up. Maybe that is enough of that for now.



Anyway, just in case you want to know what Simon Groom looks like these days then go here. Blue Peter is a bit special. You may be a Magpie kid or from outside the UK but Michael Stipe knows about Blue Peter so living outside the UK is no excuse. I found a picture of me when I was very young recently and I am wearing my Blue Peter badge with obvious pride or is that pain because my dad had made me wear shorts outside in the winter again? It wasn't a proper badge by the way, just a sew on patch but at seven years old that is certainly enough.

The best presenter they ever had :-



Time to go. See you on Thursday at five to five (or whenever it is or was).

No comments: