Monday, January 11, 2010

Sparks in the Unremitting Gloom


Another in an occasional series. I got a reputation at college as a bit "Hello Clouds, Hello Sky" because of my liking for "From Gardens Where we Feel Secure" by the wispy, wandering waif that is Virgina Astley. I have possibly raved about FGWWFS on here before because I have every version of the album available. However, until the recent liberation of the above album - Hope in a Darkened Heart, that has been it for Ms. Astley. The reviews complain of its delicateness and occasional descent into cutsey melody and lyrics. Having just listened to it several times, I'm a bit concerned that it's actually one of the darkest collections of music I have. Although some of the tracks are either re-recordings or simple previously-released versions, the whole thing hangs together in a strange and unsettling way - suggesting someone in a deep depression, someone trying to give off an air of happy nonchalance but instead revealing everything in simple block-chords of emotion. The words are not clever, just honest, forced into the melodies in awkward ways that add to the threatening atmosphere. But who is being threatened? Virginia herself is about as threatening as the scent of an orange. It's all just a mystery.

Six tracks are produced by Ryuichi Sakamoto while there are three previously released or re-recorded songs. David Sylvian sings with Virginia on Some Small Hope.



It is indeed some small hope, hope in a darkened heart, glory in the reality of nature and all that cliched stuff we secretly like and long for but cannot mention because it is not cool. Another thing what got me into poetry - I'm thinking of Yeats though Virginia herself was more into the War Poets I think. Right - I'm off to scour ebay now.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.