Thursday, January 07, 2010

Good Widdance


Is that better?

Oh - and apologies for the crude and shallow title today, not that anyone in the news would influence me in that direction.

Still no sign of the snow melting but a few more people have made it in today. And after my rant about boring politics we have an attempted SMS coup. Who'da thought it? Maybe things are getting exciting again. (Pause for a yawn).

I've finally managed to understand (sort of) how to take input from the PC microphone and use it to create truly random numbers. I may have mentioned what I think was PHD thesis I found about using sound files as the source for real random numbers (I can't find it now) and it spurred me to try and take the input from the mic to use as a real time stream. I use DirectX which it seems actually creates something like the internal format of a wav file. Anyway, the stream of data can be used to create random numbers. I have written a small program to produce a Gamelan-like sound which depends on the mic input for it's melody and rhythm. I'm trying to work out how to make it available but it needs references to DirectX of course.

Watch this space

No comments: