Friday, April 24, 2009

The Scritti Politti Duty Roster


Saw this on a computer screen today and laughed out loud - nearly as much as I laughed at last night's episode of The Big Bang theory. Hopefully as much merriment tonight from new Have I Got News For You and Reggie Perrin.

I haven't really kept up with Erwin James since he left prison but today he reveals his true identity in this article. The background to his case is here. I make no judgements other than to say that in his case, prison worked. Unfortunately I suspect that no more than a few percent of people going into prison which such a history will come out with the same level of education and self-awareness. If we can put as much effort into education for people at risk of offending on this scale as Erwin James did after his conviction, then the country might be a better place. My internal cynic says that the proportion of offenders prepared to accept this path is about the same as the proportion of people in society in general prepared to rise above the Soma that is fed to us every day and question the fog of comfort that surrounds us. Here I have to admit that I am one for the path of least resistance, a sort of cultural laziness to mirror my own physical inactivity. I suppose I am the worst manifestation of the chattering classes though I like to think that my Enlightened Ignorance raises me slightly above the valley mist that is life today.

Update:

I've just read this article about using brain impulses to Twitter. Now obviously the immediately obvious use of this technology is for "locked-in" syndrome as the article says. However, all I can see is the world full of a multiple of the already-huge level of inane chatter that floats around us. I am thinking of the Belcerebron and their world full of chatter to avoid broadcasting all thoughts telepathically. With this attached to twitter, telepathy will be here. Fear it!

No comments: