Monday, April 06, 2009

Helberg's slightly-not-sure-about-this principle



(Edited at http://tiltshiftmaker.com/)

The Notebook is empty but the mind is full, though as before it is still all rubbish. I feel a bit unfulfilled for some reason - having eaten the surprise stilton that appeared in the fridge as if by magic over the weekend there seems not a lot to look forward to. I know that is wrong and I should be using the CBT to try and work it out and it's not that anything is negative; just that nothing looks to be positive. I suppose I have a natural solution to this in that I start thinking about programming projects such as the idea of starting to use threads on the Steve Reich Simulator so that changing the settings on-the-fly doesn't stop the melody. However, I also want to change the input matrices so that I can add or delete notes in bulk rather than by selecting each one in turn. I've done it using a DataGridView control but that only works in Framework 2 so it looks like I might have to upgrade at home. I suppose really I should build a custom control to do it as slickly as possible but that seems too much like proper work to be exciting.

Talk here today is of the office Christmas party. This depresses me further of course, not because Christmas is approaching but the fact that we are talking about it before the worshipping has been got out of the way for this year. This arises of course from the general need to add value to everything that possibly starts out with value in the first place and to push value onto things which should be free. The time has come to take back Christmas and Easter, boycott moonpig.com and to start working out what we really should value in the world and our own celebrations. I suppose this is an extension of the Ronco Olive Pitter effect, whereby societies in which people do not have to struggle to survive give rise to completely useless artifacts and concepts. Did one of you just shout "PINKO"?

Meanwhile - something meaty yet middle-of-the-road ... err ... debate.

No comments: