Thursday, November 10, 2005

Oh My Gawd! I've Hit the Flying Doctor

Evenin' All

Things are up and down like the biggest, horriblest roller-coaster you could imagine - one that gets you all misty in the clouds and then plunges into the deepest, darkest spelunker's dream. Well maybe not quite that bad. One Dead Ant. To each his own hangup.

I am half-way through Girl With A Pearl Earring. I was certain after a few pages that it was going on my give-up pile but it hasn't. I saw the film, though the beauty of that was just in the images; there was so little actual interaction between animated people that it seemed just like a series of Vermeer paintings, a bit like Drowning By Numbers, though that had a false plot of meaningless clues and dialogue. The book of GWAPE is so good, up there with those books you race through but dread not having them to read any more; remember that cut-loose feeling you get when trying to find something to measure up to what has just gone? There is a little bit of such drama being better on the radio than on film because you can make up your own mind as to how the scenes appear, but with this book, you have the added plus of being able to slot the real Vermeer painting into the narrative. We had a reproduction of one of them at the end of our hall and I am annoyed with myself for not remembering which one.

1 comment:

Ed said...

I, too, have waved the thing all over the place. And what's eating Gilbert Firth?