Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I Love Shuttle

Listening to Julian Bream and John Williams (arguing about strings possibly).

Where was I? Rubbish Copyrighting. I have a slight acquaintance who is a copyrighter of the highest order. He would never even think about using any of the messy and ambiguous constructions you can find on the likes of cereal packets and shampoo bottles. It seems that meaning is sacrificed for a stylish justification; a sentence that does not make sense is pointless. Stones and glasshouses! I know. You may want to know what prompted all this. It was the smellies bottles arrayed on the shelf in the bathroom. I really do need to put batteries in the radio so I won't be tempted to read the back of shower-gel bottles just to keep my mind active while showering. Thoughts about sloppy wordy stuff come to me when reading the menus at eateries. The use of adjectives to describe the food on offer had reached new heights. No steak is just steak; it is always 'juicy' or 'succulent'. If it was dry and horrible I'd send it back.

Ranty Old Man alert. Should I have put that at the top of the page?

Sometimes, I really just want to write with a pen and paper. When I first started cursive writing (new way of saying joined-up), we were given the opportunity to buy specially designed cartridge pens which for me at the time meant inky hands rather than nice writing. I have tried to find one in the same style for ages but they don't seem to be made any more. They took short cartridges and had a long tapering body supposedly to balance the pen properly in little chubby fingers. I still use a cartridge pen with a wide nib as I think it makes writing seem easier. Even a roller ball doesn't seem to have the exact feel of a 'proper pen'. It is quite amazing that you are able to distinguish such a difference just by the slight drag against the paper.

I have been told the Panda Active Scan is the best virus scanner. I suppose it must be down in Black and White somewhere.

Sorry!

No comments: