Monday, February 07, 2005

After Shadows

I was watching the last episode of Mary, Mungo and Midge from our Complete MM&M DVD (£3.00 at MVC with free copy of the Complete Fingerbobs) when my daughter spoke up that Midge had just looked at everything he'd done in previous episodes. And she was right!. In a long panning shot, we saw references to everything that had happened in all the previous episodes, a funfair, a shop with a black cat on it, a man selling balloons and so many other things. It was a weird moment. Midge then went on to fall asleep on top of a sandcastle and dream about all the things just referenced. I am trying to work out if this is the plot of some cult film. I have also worked out why I think I can hear another theme tune in the end credit music for MM&M. It is almost the same tune as the theme to All Creatures Great and small. A nice loose end tied at the same time as another starts fraying.

In a water-cooler conversation the other day I mentioned that I feel confused because I never get to finish anything. When I die, I will not be worried about the impending flight into oblivion, but by the loose ends, unfinished projects and unresolved conversations that I am sure will come flooding back to embarrass me. I can at least say that I have seen every episode of MM&M and that I know about the post-modern ending.

No comments: