Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Very Smug

After yesterday's trip into the no-brow world of terrible pop music, today we have an entry about Ulysses - Joyce - not Homer. I have been carrying Ulysses round in my Palm Pilot for a long time now which puts me down as pretentious enough doesn't it. Al Alvarez says that he used to carry a copy around in the mid-forties just to wind-up his Headmaster at Oundle so it sounds like he got over the thing before the end of his teens. He doesn't actually say that he finished it though. I aim to because for all its randomness, there are some sublime and locomotive passages which make you ache with how right it all is. Anyway, my smugness today is related to identifying the chapter I am currently wading through as being the Cyclops episode. Maybe it is just obvious to anyone with a Classical education but I was happy enough. Half-way through now. Maybe it will be finished by the end of the year.

What now? I had a quick attempt at making a panorama with the digital camera yesterday but I didn't keep the camera level enough. The software had a decent-enough attempt at sorting it out but it was not good enough to put up on the site. I am stunned at the quality of the images. I thought we were going to have to get a new printer but using coated Ink Jet paper and the current printer, the quality is excellent.

No comments: