Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Secret Dairy

I did spell check that, though I didn't bother with yesterday’s entry. Find anything?

Listening to Random Playlist from media player - currently Breakout by Swing Out Sister.

Which reminds me that I didn't finish the top ten guilty secret records.

Today I don't really care about anything but myself and the music that is coming into my ears. I know I should be bothered about things but everything is just a personal thing. We watched Hotel Du Lac yesterday, a strange and slow play about not a lot though because it was from a Booker Prize winning novel(ette) and it is about a writer it did have a strange air of self-reference about it. I didn't think I would manage to keep interested but it was so short that I managed to stay awake. I should dig out the book sometime. I have three Booker-Prize-Winning books but I have only read one of them - Vernon God Little - though I have read my Cousin's book - Last Letters from Hav which was nominated but didn't win. I am racing through Carrie's War at the moment. I saw the first BBC version when I was ten and then read the book. The recent BBC version was excellent and I just happened to see the book while I was with my daughter at the library. I should have it finished by tonight. This is Nina Bawden's masterpiece. I must have missed so much of the subtle background when I read it all those years ago. At that time I though that Samuel Isaac Evans was the worst kind of nightmare you could have as an Evacuee. Knowing now some of the unspeakable horrors that other children went through it is difficult to make him out as anything other than firm but fair. All this makes me realise how safe my life actually has been. As you may have picked up from previous entries there has been one major bad thing in my life and it has left me with various hang-ups but then again my childhood was quite balanced despite this and I like to think that my Children's lives are happier than mine.

No comments: