Monday, May 10, 2004

A Great Big Concerto

The film this weekend was The Life of David Gale. I was expecting a sensationalist thriller but it turned out to be an attempt at a serious film, though if you want a real critique of the death penalty then you should watch Dead Man Walking. TLODG has to weave in a compelling story and a tied-up conclusion though any film, which tackles this issue, says something important even if, as one of the Amazon reviewers says, the political message descends into a sea of embarrassment. As usual with films with a complex ending, there is not much I can say without giving clues out so you will have to make up your own mind. I do have problems with the rabid announcements of "They should leave him [some famous murderer] tied up in Trafalgar square and let us get on with it". You may think I am exaggerating about this but it happens. I know my own feelings would be different if the victim was someone known to me but this goes back to my ideas regarding the mad little slavering one in my brain and his aloof brother who just waits for the end of the storm and steps in to take control again. Obviously this is something I hope never to have to put to the test but the anger is there.

No comments: