Friday, April 30, 2004

I've Got You on My Wish List

I am back on Music For 18 Musicians again. I wish I could find my copy of Drumming, which is even more sparse in its repetition and still manages to convey a powerful sense of emotion. You know how some bits of music always bring to mind some particular event or image or smell? Well Drumming does this on some weird and very powerful level probably because the repetition drives itself into short-term memory and locks itself against all the other things in there at the time. I remember reading about how listening to music can help you remember things so maybe this is the best piece of music to be listening to while trying to remember something. My aunt complained once when I told her that Steve Reich was very good and she made a point of listening to his Composer of the week slots on Radio 3. She was horrified by the repetition and was generally not happy with it. I told her about Come Out the other week expecting her to recoil in horror at the thought but she said (without any irony I thought) that it sounded quite amazing. We shall see when I play it to her sometime. She also browsed through my lovingly kept copy of I Want to Spend the Rest of My Life Everywhere, with Everyone, One to One, Always, Forever, Now by Damien Hirst and was (she says) pleasantly surprised at how interesting it was. That didn't stop her complaining about the pointlessness of some of it but then again I complain about that as well. BTW I am shocked to see that they cost FROM £249 on Amazon. Lets have a look at ebay shall we? Well $350! Good job it didn't stay in the garage then. The assistant did try to get me to buy two copies - one to read and one to keep in the cellophane as an investment but then again, if you are a regular reader, you will know about my problem with Waterstones assistants after the Lancaster incident.

That is a bit of creative tension - foreshadowing like in Bloom County which, I am delighted to see is back - well Opus is anyway. A penguin for the electronic age. All this and a cross-dressing cockroach. Wonderful! I will be lobbying The Guardian to bring it back.

MF18M just changed section in a way that is almost heartbreaking. The change from Section V to Section VI is better than Sex, Chocolate or Bridges - trust me. Lets me think about a list of other such moments in music. I will work on it alongside all that time I am going to spend on 'eIn C' (sic). Have a good weekend everybody.

No comments: