Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Hand Ups All Those Of You Who Think That Philp Glass Thinks He Is Gertrude Stein

Who is Gertrude Stein? Never heard of her except in a music review in Q magazine years ago. Of course Word is the thing to read these days. Q went so downhill that I stopped getting it. Now do try the online issue of Word. It might even make me subscribe. Well I have done so there! Petulant child that I am. No poetry today. Too excited.

My keyboard seems to be slow.

I still keep thinking (only thinking) about creating the self-playing version of In C for the computer. While watching the percussion yesterday, this got me thinking about a program that would select a random style - not a genre but in the range of fast/slow or loud/soft or even just a particular rhythm - and then improvise around it. After all isn't that what writing music is about anyway. Just select a key and off you go. Now I though about it for awhile and I decided that it would not be that difficult to do. Now all I need is some time and wha-hey - here comes a bank holiday. I might not get away with seven hours at it but you never know. We do still have to go Kite flying which was promised some weeks ago but has been scuppered by lack of wind or surfeit of lampreys - sorry - rain. Maybe I can spend some time locating the picture I have of the massive kite I saw being retrieved from the sea off Bali. It looked big enough in the air but when it was gently gathered up - tail and all - by a long string of people in the sea, it became clear that this kite was longer than Concord and nearly as noisy what will all the flapping.

No comments: