Thursday, April 08, 2004

Eating Chocolate and Marmalade

Listening to - Hunkpapa - Throwing Muses

(as well as the source of the title above).

I can't work out how I ever became a fan of Throwing Muses. I heard Dizzy on a channel 4 alt rock programme but I also heard something by 10,000 Maniacs the same day I think. It wasn't really my sort of thing at the time but I suspect it was the actual meaning of the songs that got me into it further. Poetry with a spiky backing that's all.

We have visitors this weekend and my wife had removed lots of books from the side of the bed for the tidy up. I have retrieved the Philip Larkin Collected poems because that is an integral part of reading the Larkin biography. The list as far as I can remember is :-

Dead Famous - Mary Queen of Scots and her hopeless husbands
A big coffee table book about Mary Queen of Scots bought on wild impulse in Stirling Castle

(We were trying to see how much liberty Jimmy McGovern had taken with his recent Tudor/Stuart epic - answer lots.)

The collected poems of TS Eliot - the original and best anagram ever.
Wintering by Kate Moses - The next to be read I promise.
Hard Water - Poems by Jean Sprackland
Book of Matches - Poems by Simon Armitage

My english teacher would be proud after despairing about all the Sci-Fi I wrote when in his charge.

No comments: