Thursday, April 29, 2004

Believe the Hype

So no storm then! Well you can't have everything.

I finished Lucky Jim last night. Can't see the point of it all. From hype I was expecting some sort of intelligent novel but it was simply about getting one over on enemies with the reward of ?500 a year and the better looking girl and being allowed to crow about it to your main rival. It's almost like celebrity gossip; it really is on that level. I must be just too old to be swayed by rewards along the lines of money and young women. Even so, I am not sure I would have found it a wonderful ending when I was 25. There was some tension in the final 30 pages but I suspect that was from the presence of the Claire Tomalin biography of Pepys which was next to me as I read. It has been lying quietly, exuding some form of almost chemical attractor for a few days and I only just managed to resist tossing the KA book aside and dive in. I know I said that I would start the Consolations of Philosophy but it's my life so there! And there is the daily diary entry here.

Just had a long rant with colleagues about something so this entry is curtailed.


No comments: