Monday, February 03, 2003



Where did that come from?

Sorry about the previous entry. It is a very old poem from 1994 and not even I am certain about the origin of much of it. Well, it scans in a way so in it goes.

I finished 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' yesterday. An Excellent book. It is sad that it took a TV version, albeit a very good one, to get me to pick up a Sherlock Holmes book. I do hope that the BBC carry on and produce more SH/DW books with the same actors. The BBC seems to have dragged itself up from the mire of Holby City/Eastenders and produced at least two very good programmes in the last month. The other one I am thinking of is 'The lost Prince' about Prince John, the son of George V who was epileptic and thought to have what now would be termed as either autism or learning difficulties. Of course it is very difficult to tell how much of the drama is true to the reality but what mattered here was its believability. The attention to detail was astounding and that gave it an air of credibility often absent from Royal dramas these days. As you have probably worked out, I am not an ardent royalist (neither am I a fervent republican except when very wound up) and I don't usually expect to be captivated by such dramas. Of course when the writing or directing is so good, I will watch anything - Mrs Brown - The Madness of George III, but this was special beyond almost anything I have seen before. The early shot of the Russian Princesses (Tsarinas?) walking along a sunny south-coast beach was just breath-taking (over-fulsome praise is no praise at all - rein in this purple prose) and reminded me of some paintings I have seen. Maybe Steven Poliakoff is using the same devices as Peter Greenaway used in Drowning by Numbers.

What are the daughters of a Tsar called?

On to Wuthering Heights. Maybe next weekend if the weather is good.

No comments: