Friday, February 21, 2003


The War-Winning Huddersfield Bomber

For some reason my Wife and I were trying to name 10 British WWII planes yesterday. After I gave her the clue that lots of British planes seemed to be named after towns and having already got the Lancaster Bomber, she came up with the Huddersfield Bomber which sounds like it should be some saddo with a milk bottle, petrol and lots of (bad) attitude. There is one British Aircraft which always attracted interest when I was at school and that was the Boulton Paul Defiant. As you can see if you have clicked on the link, it had a four-gun turret mounted on the fuselage which seemed odd because such turrets were usually seen in the nose and tail of really big bombers. My uncle was a tail gunner in Wellington and Halifax bombers but I have never asked him about it. Come to think of it, I haven't actually seen him or my aunt for years. I saw him at my Grandfather's funeral about 12 years ago. The sad thing is I expect it will be another funeral before I see him again. We have to make the effort to get to see them some time.

This was just a stream of conciousness presentation by the unfriendly society. By the way, he told the draft board that he was allergic to Corned Beef, which would have worked I suppose. On to the Novelty Rock Emporium and the Warmington Cottage Hospital.

No comments: