Friday, February 07, 2003


Clangers and Pogles and Yaffle

I saw my first Liverpool Fox this morning, at about 06:10. It was running slyly as foxes do, directly across the main road into Liverpool from the North, in the midst of all the dock-side industrial estates. I suspect that foxes are actually quite common here but I have never seen one. They were quite often around when I lived in Bristol. One used to sit right by the wrought iron gates to the garage where my landlord kept his car and his large Pyrenean Mountain Dog. The fox would sit just back from the gates while the dog barked manically at it from the other side. Of course Bristol is where the BBC Wildlife film unit is based and they did several programmes on Urban Foxes.

I have just looked for details of that programme and I have found that the Urban Foxes are being hunted by marksmen as they have started to be a nuisance in some cities and towns. I can't imagine that they are that much of a nuisance. It sounds like A quote from the BBC article :-



But others complain that foxes are digging up their gardens, fouling their lawns, attacking their pets and ripping open their garbage bags.



Sounds like what cats do and you would never shoot a cat would you? And I wouldn't let a man with a gun loose in any city. I will here admit that I have shot an animal and killed several others by other means. At least once I used my Dad's airgun to shoot the rabbits which were eating our vegetables in the garden of the very house you see in the picture from the previous post. Just in case you think I am a 'fluffy bunny' type. Having said that I am also not a 'Rupert-bag-anything-that-moves'. That name actually sounds like it could exist. Hiya Rupe!

I didn't get any scans done. Apologies. I did look at the album and I remembered going through it for pictures to blog and not finding any. This time, I found loads and could have scanned in the lot. It's just like the poems; sometimes they seem wonderful and other times they are just dross. Looking at the pictures of the old house made me realise that I have almost forgotten what the house was like inside. My Wife asked me about something visible in the picture and I could not answer because ther internal layout is nothing more that a fuzzy memory. We had two living rooms one of which had a beamed ceiling; I can't work out how one ceiling had to beamed and the other didn't. Maybe it was because the beamed room had a big inglenook fire place which had been blocked off and connected to a bread oven. The structure of the house might not have stood having the beams being taken away.

No comments: