Monday, September 02, 2002


Medieval Dentistry



A Hobby Yesterday

I have just returned from a few days with my parents in Malvern. We visited Worcester Museum because my dad wanted to see if they had done anything with a Hobby which a friend had brought to him after it had killed itself by flying into a window. Hobbies are quite rare in this country and the museum had had it stuffed and were still waiting for somewhere to display it. Dad said he had found the curator he had spoken to but he said he had to rush off to the Cathedral to retrieve King John's teeth. I am absolutely amazed that I have managed to find a picture of said dentition. Apparently there is someone doing a live art exhibition involving the teeth so that is probably why the curator was off to get them back. Much as most British people don't like King John, it does seem a little unfair to be playing about with his teeth.

Anyway the rest of the time was very relaxing. We walked along the Malvern Hills for a little way. I have forgotten how downright beautiful and peaceful the views are, expecially those to the Herefordshire side. You see mostly fields and trees with a few scattered houses rather than lots of buildings with a bit of green. I have been trying to find a suitable picture to link to but there are so many I think I should just direct you to a Google Image Search. Take your pick. My daughter certainly enjoyed being on the top of the particular hill we climbed even if it wasn't the tallest of the bunch. I don't think 'bunch' is actually the collective name for hills. For Mountains it is obviously 'range' but what about hills? Maybe it is just 'line'. A line of hills. However, the Malverns are actually more like a range and what with the tallest one (The Worcestershire beacon) being only a few feet short of a Mountain, they really should be a range.

My daughter got a book with a collection of the most popular children's stories in it. Wind in the Willows, Thomas the Tank Engine etc. One of them was a 'My Naughty Little sister' story. She so liked this story that we had to buy the book and it brought back all the memories of when I read it. I don't remember having it read to me so I must have been old enough to read it to myself. It must be nearly thirty years since I have read it but I could almost quote it as soon as the first line prompted me. I keep hearing the voice of the woman who used to narrate the early 'Watch With Mother' programmes and indeed it was apparently written for 'Listen with Mother'. I challenge you to find any 40/30 something who is not moved by hearing 'The Dolly Suite" by Faure just beacause it was used as the theme to Listen with Mother. It should be on a calming music CD for the middle aged. (and people who are my age as well).

Tme to post.

No comments: