Friday, September 06, 2002


Beneficial Nematodes or ..
A viking wants to re-seat my Motherboard.

Today is a "no removal of typoes" day.

All very good and strangely Mauve in a sort of limited Delia Smith type of way.

The DNA of the Indonesian Slender Loris is unique. At several points within the sequence, a code made from the four bases will spell out long (but incomplete) extracts from several of the books of Jane Austen and a book by only one other Author, oddly enough, the History of DNA extraction in South Shropshire. This of course reminds me of the great DNA mine at IronBridge where, it is surmised, that the evolution of modern humans was completed through the use of giant steam powered cranes and a framework made of toast and Marmite.

Oh I do so like Italics. They satisfy like a good pint of Waggle Dance

I suppose I had better try and write something serious. The above paragraph was the result of an Oblique Strategy but you will have to guess which one. As usual all the things I really wanted to write about have vanished from my mind and of course some of them will never come back what with the decay of brain cells etc. I am afraid it is another poem.



GENIE



(From the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology)

"What red blue is in?"

Can Genie Walk?
Can Genie Cry?
Can Genie Spit in our god's eye?


The Cool cameraman of Genie's loves
has left her here for us,
a shell of seas or otherwise,
an infant always
in our smoky, concrete heights
with Cleopatra's gait and language.

Here's a message
floated on a wall in light,
It is a hieroglyph,
her name in Gold Cartouche,
denoting high birth
amongst the animals.



There are so many conflicting accounts of how Genie came to be like she was. I am not really sure which one is correct. I suppose what I said in the poem was really the old cliche of who is actually the mad one. It was very difficult to take in the technical side of the TV programme I saw about her because all the way through, you kept returning to what she had been through both in her original family and in the name of science. And of course at the end of the programme you were left wondering how she was doing now. I still am. I think the programme implied that Genie was in the equivalent of local authority care rather than with a family. She must be 45 now. I have just asked if anyone else saw the programme and they all think I mean "I dream of Jeanie".

No comments: