Monday, March 24, 2008


The Hissing Of Mystery Lectures

Somehow I have swung myself another day off. A lot of today was taken up with burning disks for some reason though we did swing a walk to the cinema to see The Spiderwick Chronicles. I was all ready to gear up Mr Grumpy and complain about how all the good books are Americanised these days but after looking at our copy of the book of the same name I was able to avoid any mistaken offence 'cos of course as any fule know (a fule wot has red it anyway) it is actually an American book. The film was quite good though I am well beyond being impressed by CGI which these days seems to swamp every film even in the bits that normally would simply be people on sets. It all got a bit too hectic at the end though the final few minutes prior to the quiet come-down bit at the end were quite breathtaking. I have to say they cleaned the house up very quickly - tomato and salt does stain so.

I don't seem to be able to get as excited about all the things which used to make me angry. I used to to promise myself that I would not compromise in my ageing and would keep the same outlook on life but now I find myself able to come to internal agreements to accept quite a lot of the things which used to have me painting placards - well shouting into space anyway. Looking at it, maybe there are new things which start me off now - old persons' concerns about the world, but these seem to be worries about myself and my family rather than wider interests. Is the inevitable slide from angry young man towards reactionary old git? Answers on a postcard to the usual address. Isn't the cost of postage a bloody disgrace these days? And another thing - I bought four magazines last week and the only one of them which was not at mid-height for easy retrieval from the Magazine Library that is WH Smith was The Oldie. I'm not bothered for myself of course - I just worry for all the old people.

No comments: