Wednesday, March 12, 2008


You've Got Bionic What?

My daughter and I are going to see Kate Rusby of the impossibly delightful voice after Easter but we were having trouble seeing if the seats were suitable. However, having spotted that the Philharmonic Hall have a virtual tour created in Second Life we were able to stake out the seats for ourselves which was wonderful.

I rarely venture into Second Life because, while I am aware of the infinite possibilities of what I might find there, the virtual reality of the places just seems samey. Let me know of some Jaw Dropping locations and I might change my mind but even being chased by an Alligator while trespassing in someone's swimming pool did not seem that exciting and even flying becomes tiresome after a while. I do hope that I might find other places which give the place some real use. Daughter is pestering me to create a version of our house which will probably sit on the project pile for ages before being discarded.

Bionic Woman (why no definite article?) was trash - stilted dialogue - a plot which whistled by as if all the important stuff had been cut out in a race to the first sight of technology, over-simplification of complex issues, and a lack of the charm which allows Torchwood to get away with all of the above. Zoe Slater was alright I suppose - she has a much better American accent than Hugh Laurie - but that is just not enough. And to think that I got all this in the 20 minutes of the first episode that I watched before changing the channel. I seem to be thinking of the word Midi-chlorians here. Wonder why?

Gulity Pleasures in defiance of The Word. Only Five I am afraid but all is flux (not of Pink Indians either)

Nightbirds - Shakatak (they held the record for the longest silent gap in the middle of a song - still going)
Gold - Abba
Islands - Kajagoogoo
Chess - Half of Abba and Time Rice.
Tell Me On A Sunday - Marti Webb

My sister played Tell Me On A Sunday over and over and I loved it. Why is there no CD release of this? My sister also played "You're Moving Out Today" by Carol Bayer Sager which is weird in the extreme - like some art-house movie compressed into three minutes. I seem to think it might actually have been about Benny from Cross Roads - he certainly did the voice over. I first heard Nightbirds while in a car coming back to Bristol from London and it fitted with the late-night, rain-on-window ambience of the day - more Jazzy than Jazz funk I thought. One of their later songs has bits of dialogue in it which I think are from The Dambusters.


No comments: