Monday, July 02, 2007


Self-Swallowing Normality.

I tried to check all 700-odd pages of my new copy of GEB for any mis-bindings but it was an impossible task. I will just have to keep an eye out for inconsistencies in the text.

I got to the usual bit in the first chapter where I falter in trying to understand
Russell’s Paradox but that Wikipedia article and a bit of circular thinking has got me over it. I now understand it both in my head and deeper down – like duckspeak maybe. I also seem to have a much better understanding of the Godel side of this book whereas before it was the music of Bach and Escher’s engravings that dragged me in. I so much want to write about it but it would just be a summary of the book’s themes which is pointless really. I will just leave you with a pointer to this article about our general ignorance of scientific matters.

No comments: