Thursday, July 26, 2007


Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite

Two more books delivered courtesy of Sefton Library services – Dear Robert, Dear Spike – The Graves-Milligan Correspondence and Robert Graves : Life on the Edge by Miranda Seymour.

I am also most taken with Graves’ poetry collection called Fairies and Fusiliers which in every poem seems to sum-up the default image created in my mind by that title. All the poems are available online at that link.

I also have a poem of my own which came fully-formed in a dream – well maybe not quite fully-formed but it is a Limerick which is very unusual.

I went to sea with Dirk Bogarde,
And a man who looked like Dirk Bogarde,
A girl with a chimp,
A boy with a limp,
And another who looked like Dirk Bogarde.


If you stress it right it’s not nonsense at all. I suppose there aren’t many rhymes for Bogarde and I can only blame myself even if it did come from a dream. I could at least have tried for some assonance – getting the rhyme wrong dear! Spike is safe from any competition from me.

No comments: