Monday, September 20, 2010

SauerKrautRock

... or on being very disappointed. A few days ago I wrote about being excited that Probe Records was moving from its boring industrial unit to a unit within The Bluecoat. It should have stayed where it was. It's a box - a bloody box. The place has no soul - well there is some soul but only on record. All the records are there and the CDs and the vinyl on the walls but it has no shape - no atmosphere - it is a machine for selling music and nothing else. I don't want to be around when Julian Cope or Pete Burns find out. I can't bring myself to post the phot I took - I hope they do some decoration.

Well I still bought something rather than just waltzing in to swipe a free copy of The Stool Pigeon, which incidentally has shrunk from NME size to fanzine size and is all the better for it except that I can't quite read it now all the text has shrunk - maybe I'm in the wrong demographic. (Get on with it - what did you buy? Ed.). Thanks to a recommendation from Scaryduck I bought Neu! 75 - note careful positioning of The Pling there - and beautiful it is. From Motorik drone to distant and plaintive distorted guitars. Unless you count Kraftwerk as Krautrock, this is my first in the genre and how could I miss it? It's been round a few times now and it is wonderful.

However I have more music to report on from Radio Two's Swing Time slot this morning which was Light Flight by Pentangle - the theme to Take Three Girls - which I am sure I remember watching despite only being five when it came out.

No comments: