Friday, October 23, 2009

See Emily Play

Emily Howell does not exist. She is a computer program which from the video attached to this article at The Times, is quite competent. I cannot agree with Mark Lawson in the Guardian who will one day be caught out by something created by computer. Music is defined by numbers - some of it requires high quantising but the bottom line is that there are limited number of notes and a limited number of ways you can put them together. Computer-generated music can and will be indistinguishable. Any other approach is just pompous and snobbish.

My absence has been due to flu which was bad. Not sure if it was of the swine variety and to be honest I'm not sure if I care - I certainly didn't care on Wednesday last week when I just wanted to lie down for a month. All gone now apart from the tiredness which means I'm not particularly bothered about writing any more today.

No comments: