Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The International Plant Absorbing Association


I was alone in the house last night - well son was sleeping upstairs while my wife and daughter went out to see Jacqueline Wilson - and I ended up slumped in front of more of BBC4's Electric Dreams programming, specifically The Life and Death of a Mobile Phone. The programme itself was a bit of a throwaway just like its subject but it did suggest the idea of a documentable network of all the phones in the world - each list of contacts overlapping with other lists in a gigantic super-Venn Diagram. I suppose Facebook already has this ability. Looking forward to Synth Britannia.

And now in my quest to bring pretentious and intellectual themes to the common-place, I thought that the Tory suggestion that the state pension age be raised to 66 from 2006 might end up like a version of Achilles and The Tortoise. Get to 66 and they will push the age up by six months - get there and it will go up by three months and so on. We will all have to work until we keel over into a conveniently dug grave.

No comments: