Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bathetics and Juju Space Jazz



Here in the wavering darkness I have left my family asleep, my daughter with a sword by her side, and I walk under the shaded signs of dawn through the roiling clouds, the sediment of all that is bad, through the damp smell of fallen leaves and the mist of pathetic rain to my routine and ready mix.

So pretty normal for this time of year then.

I wasn't so much taken with this review of Creation in the Guardian but the comments were quite funny and pretty much uni-thematic. I especially like :

Have to say I agree with the posters above. Being atheist, or agnostic, does not render you either immoral or amoral, but allows you to be good, decent, honest, kind, true, loving and the rest without having to be reminded of it every Sunday morning by the vicar. In fact, those creationists ought to be thanking their lucky stars that we godless types are by and large very decent human beings. If we weren't, we might have started eating them. Me, I'm content to just shove the occasional one under a bus...

I should now trail out of my own spiel about how I know what is good and bad behaviour but I always worry about straying into moral relativism - that which I am apt to use from both sides of the argument when it suits me which shows me up for the fence-sitter that I am. I'm not sure if I can even sum up what I believe is good behaviour - the danger is that I behave like I do because I always have - that I do what I I was told was right without questioning it though I do like to think I question quite a lot of how we are supposed to behave or what we are supposed to believe. This is forming a queue of warning bells in my head - conspiracy theory loon being the latest of them.

No comments: