Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Not the Aphex Twin Humming an Evil Tune.

I was not expecting to put a link to an Obituary so long after the event as it were but here is that of Richey Edwards. I was still getting the NME when he carved 4 real in his arm and became a hero to much misguided youth. He of course meant a lot at first even if it was just in terms of lyrics rather than musical ability but I suspect his real legacy is the grace and skill that has, since his disappearance, flowed into The Manics, making them a serious if not altogether successful band. There is of course the SP link, not that I pay enough attention to the lyrics to spot that.

I was too old to be a real fan - you needed to be young and angry - just still at school or just starting college with a view towards changing the world with your own wit and energy. At the time I was on the cusp of looking at Richey's stunt with the razor blade as either a cool way to publicise your commitment or a stupid example to impressionable (or maybe professional) Girls in Black (GIBs). Truisms abound in my mind at the moment and none deserve being set down here as they are all too obvious. Select your own best ones and focus on them for a few minutes while remembering Richey. But also remember that he was was cool AND stupid. That's one of your parents talking.

Is it me or does the feeling one is supposed to associate with Fin de siècle, at large at the moment - a sort of collective nervousness due to the unprecedented events in the world at present? Just me then.

Daughter is starting Shakespeare at school. Written on the tiles in plastic bath letters last night was this phrase - Deal or No Deal - That is the Question. I can't actually watch Noel Edmunds - his ability to string out an entire programme from what is basically a 2 mark maths question annoys me intensely but then again at this Grumpy Old Man stage of my life so much else annoys me as well. Again, my mind is full of examples but you will have to guess at the scope of this list. I do however like this time of year even if my belief that exposing the back of my knees in the coldest weather helps to stave of depression is completely false.

No comments: