Wednesday, November 05, 2008

99901 + 2012 = Somewhere?

Much as I am cheered by today's result (did you guess I would be?) , there was something making me even happier and that was the thought that given luck and a fair wind for Moose Poop, AK, I would never have to see or hear Ms. Sarah Palin ever again. Unfortunately I seem to have been premature in my Schadenfreude.

I suppose I should try and make some more inciteful political comment but obviously there are many people doing this at the moment and so I will leave it to them. The one thing that keeps coming to me is a flickering shadow of the Armistice and its foreshadowing of the next war. This is of course simply because of the time of year rather than any palmist/crystal ball nonsense - isn't it? Anyway, it was fitting that we watched the Program about Andrew Motion's poem for Harry Patch yesterday. While the poem was great, Motion cannot read it with any passion, though maybe that was deliberate. A flickering shadow was what triggered Harry Patch's memories of the war. Let's hope it has not triggered mine.

No comments: