Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Ricecar - In Good Faith

All of this is just a story, a wire fiction to keep us all amused or otherwise. I was listening to Norah Jones just then but the next random selection in My Bloody Valentine. Just wait 'til I get that Ipod.

Maybe I should just put up a few sonnets here and be done with it. Trouble is that sonnets take ages to do even if you only bother with the rhymes and not the scanning. I never bother with them any more.

Anyway to the real reason for an early morning post. We got Talk To Her out of the library and managed to watch it last night. It has been a major omission not to have watched any films by Almodóvar and this was a very good film. The IMDB message boards seem to have a lot of quibbling over 'plot holes' though I saw them mostly as brave attempts at a giant, Hardyesque coincidence (If I can't get at least one overblown, literary illusion into each day, I get twitchy). It was a bit like A Prayer for Owen Meany, where seemingly ludicrous and unconnected absurdity suddenly comes together in one big blow-out. The resolution was not quite as sudden in Talk to Me; rather it crept up gradually as little bits fell into place. I am afraid some reviewers take film making too literally. I bet they loved Pulp Fiction though. There were some beautiful shots but then again, the film has a gentle reality about the way it was put together. It reminds me of my rant yesterday about evolved design opposed to designed design. I can imagine that this film was completed automatically as soon as the first shots were made. Maybe that needs explaining but I have to start work so work it out for yourself..

By the way, my wife had to read the subtitles for this one as her Spanish isn't as good as her French.






No comments: