Tuesday, January 04, 2005

And This Is Me

Much reading over the holiday though no work on In C despite taking home a print of the score. The new PC arrives next week so I may wait until then.

To the books.

Presents were :-

Big Bang by Simon Singh

A great book. At first I thought it was just going to be a re-hash of all the history of Astronomy which I already knew but it actually takes it all to a new level of detail without there being too much irrelevant science. I have just re-read the Dead Famous book about Einstein which actually goes into more detail about the time/length/mass transformation equations are derived than Singh's book (it's Pythagoras stupid) but I will let you know the final opinion when I have finished it.

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins.

This is a bit daunting but looks wonderful. I have it waiting by the bed.

Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend

Read this in less than 24 hours - Number One Son stayed asleep for three hours on my watch one-day. Excellent, Cringe-worthy, heart-breaking, nail-biting, wonderful. Not so much poetry which is not nice bearing in mind that I should admit that it was Adrian Mole and not TS Eliot who really started me writing my own poetry.

Final cultural entry :-

My daughter and I went to the Liverpool Phil's Christmas concert to see Carl Davis conducting a range of Christmas Classics from Swan Lake, Lt. Kije etc all topped off with the film of The Snowman with live orchestra. Beautiful; a party Dress and Suit day - all very Radio-Four. I never thought I would see Carl Davis in a bright-red flashy jacket though. More trips are a must.

Too disjointed.

No comments: