Thursday, January 06, 2005

New State Of Mind

Listening to Happiness by Lisa Germano

G'day from all here at Grey-matter central. Well it would be if anyone would talk about anything other than football. I suppose I can't expect a long discussion of the relevance of the hundred years since Einstein's annum mirabilis though of course it's only a hundred years for us here at rest relative to him.

Yesterday I had more thoughts about Feynman's idea about there being only one photon in the whole universe. As photons travel at the speed of light because they are ... er .. light, then relative to anything else, they have no time at all. This makes it possible for one photon to carry all light at once. I'm not sure that this suggestion was entirely serious but it is the trigger for a lot of stuff. What if you could trap the photon? I see the whole universe going suddenly dark and cold. It would be like the sudden creation of a black hole in a lab here on earth - a big deal - indeed, the biggest deal ever.

I shouldn’t read science books just after Christmas.


No comments: