Friday, June 25, 2004

Architecture and Kobayashi Maru

Listening to ABoneCroneDrone by Sheila Chandra

Have you listened to all of your comfort music and eaten all your comfort food or have you just got trolleyed like everyone else? Now the audience was under 20 million for most of the time. Allowing for 20 million kids (and some of them will have watching too) that’s about half the adult population. Where was the other half? I think they should be prosecuted as traitors I really do! No mercy! Make 'em clean out a canal or something! Soon have a lot of clean canals that way.

Sorry about that. I just had to get that out in order to function properly. Now where did I put that design for an Irony mark?

We finished watching Spirited Away yesterday and bits of it reminded me of all sorts of books I have read. There is an very atmospheric ride with spirits on a train which runs out across water which for a reason I can't quite place, recalled The Third Policeman. Maybe it was the whole film which did it. The train ride also reminded me of the third bit of The Bridge, the first Iain Banks Novel I read, where the protagonist leaves the surreal world of the bridge itself and takes a train out over the rest of the world. Why he does this I can't remember but as the main pieces of action in this book relate to the goings on in a coma victims mind, I am not sure it actually matters. I also got some sort of image of those badly-dubbed, Eastern-European series which the BBC used to show. Some of them were not even dubbed and had the original soundtrack left on while some actorial type narrated over the top describing the action. This may put you off seeing Spirited Away but it should not. It is a wonderful film and contrary to the accusations of rambling that I mentioned yesterday, I felt it held together a complex story very well.


No comments: