Wednesday, July 02, 2003

The best use of "da dee da dee da da" in a pop song.

Soundtrack was until a few minutes ago - Dots and Loops by Stereolab and that is lots of "da dee da dee da da"; I kept thinking of Richard Feynman's time in Brasil. He was teaching Physics (I think on a sabbatical from his University) and yet he got involved in the Samba Schools just like Evelyn Glennie did when she was there (in Rio like Feynman). I remember seeing Evelyn Glennie on TV before she has even started at the Royal Academy of Music. I think she was showing her parents round her flat in London and demonstrating how she had to put towels over here drum-kit to keep the noise down for the neighbours. And then, only a few years later there she was with James Blades (a regular on Blue Peter into his eighties) and dressing up with the Samba Schools in Rio. I saw her twice at the Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool and percussion has never been so cool. I have just found out that James Blades recorded the "da da da dum" sound for the broadcasts from the BBC to the resistance during WWII (and yet his deaths never got a mention on the BBC news site) and of course the Gong sound for the Rank Studios ident, not that it was him in the picture. I seem to remember that the gong was actually made of plaster and if you really did hit it, it would shatter. That would have been good for their last film. Rank Stupidity not to I would say. I always say I prefer oriental percussion but the Samba stuff is really infectious. You can see how it would be asy to get swept away by it all. The difference between a good and a bad rhythm can be just one extra beat - or one less. No machine will ever be able to simulate a real samba beat. It may be easy for a rock beat or even Jazz but Samba relies on the little extras and twiddles and plain human feel. I once read an interview with Depeche Mode in one of the Music Technology magazines. It was a special about drum machines and they kept going on about how tight their chosen beat box was. They knew it was spot on the beat because they had put an oscilloscope on it. Even at the time, when I was into techno and such stuff, I though that sounded sad and stupid especially when you consider that Depeche Mode actually do sing songs rather than just making synthesiser music. Gary Numan's music is always thought of as synthesiser based but on the first few albums there is a real organic feel behind all the technology. Now modern music, that is another story ......

No comments: